Monday, November 23, 2009

Giant French Ship in the Bol'shaya Neva!

Since I'm only blind if I don't have my contacts in, I spotted a GIANT ship anchored in the Bol'shaya Neva on my way to school this morning, and walked down the embankment a little ways to check it out after class. There were lots of people down there taking pictures and checking her out. Turns out to be the French Mistral, an amphibious assault ship. I'm not sure why she's here, nor if she could actually make it any further up the river, but the Russian sub alongside is keeping an eye on her, I'm sure. You can read more about the ship at wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mistral_%28L9013%29

It's difficult to get a sense of scale from these pictures, but look for the little tiny people on the ship, not to mention the Russian sub, to get some idea of just how big she is.

Edited to add:
Apparently Russia's looking to buy one like it from France, and get a license to build several more. http://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2009/11/23/world/AP-EU-Russia-France-Navy-Ship.html

Giant French Ship in the Bol'shaya Neva!



No comments:

Post a Comment