Thursday, November 5, 2009

Do you like the NBA?

Today (Nov.5) was my second day of classes. (If you're wondering what happened to yesterday, Nov. 4, it was a holiday here in Russia and I spent it mostly walking around Nevskii Prospect and its environs with my Canadian friend--that helped me out a lot.) I'm still quite nervous and uncomfortable around here, though some of the initial all-out panic is starting to subside; it's now more of a background uncomfortableness and lingering concern about things like, say, doing laundry and getting my haircut, plus the omni-present money worry that I've got in over my head due to the unexpected "we need it basically all up front" payment terms. (It's not that the money's not there; it is. But this puts me on an especially tight leash until the next installment of my deferral stipend.) I still want to assure myself that I can get out if need be, but I'm working on that.

Anyway, class: I'm in a class with complete beginners--people who don't know a word of Russian. With the exception of one guy from Turkey, they're all Chinese. All of them, I learned today, are living in the dorms and all of them, as near as I can tell, are studying Russian now so that they can enroll in SPbGU proper for whatever sort of four year degree they offer. On top of that, they also all speak a little bit of English and are eager to practice it with me. While it's nice to have someone to talk to, it's a bit counterproductive. But it's the only way to really communicate right now--they make me look like some sort of Russian scholar. Interesting tidbit: The first thing they wanted to know was whether I liked the NBA. That goes for both the Chinese and the Turkish guy. Even I know about Yao Ming, but I guess Turkey has a few folks as well. It was good for a chuckle: It was literally the first thing that both the Chinese and the Turkish asked about. (Extra funny since I've got even less interest in basketball than other sports.) The Chinese invited me to dinner, which I had to decline--with the host am to think of, I don't want to leave Natasha hanging. Plus, I have no idea where the dorms actually *are.* Hopefully the offer's still open--home cooked Chinese food would be an interesting experience and not really one I expected in Russia.

Class itself is rather slow at the moment. Sounds and a very few basic words, most of which I already know. I think I'm going to look into moving up a group--if there's some people just a *little* bit more advanced than these guys, I feel like my time might be better spent there.

Tomorrow, I've *got* to start eating lunch, come hell or high water. The meals here with my host family are on the small side, and nervousness over ordering in a restaurant is not reason enough to starve. If that means I have to leave early so that I can get to the McDonald's on Vasilievsky before class because at least there I can figure out the Russianized menu items, then so be it. For now, though, I think I'm going to head over to the little produkti across the street and get myself an ice cream sandwich or something to tide me over until bed. (There really aren't many restaurants around here)

2 comments:

  1. Of all the ambassadors our fine National Basketball Association had to send to the Chinese in Russia, we're stuck with you. I think you should've told them great tales of your success as a college basketball player in the United States. Who are they to know any better!?! Perfect time to adopt a completely new identity.

    And who cares about a haircut!? Let it grow man!

    ReplyDelete
  2. If it'll get me Chinese food, I'll say anything. (Though I'm actually digging the Russian grub--schi and kasha forever.)

    ReplyDelete